Sunday, April 28, 2013

Lumiere Review

Overall rating: 80

Food rating: 80

Lumiere: I keep wanting to love this place...


I live close by Lumiere, and its ratings on TripAdvisor and on Zagat routinely place it among the best restaurants in the Boston area. So I would love to love the food here. I've only been a few times over many years, and each time the food is good but never great, and never as good as what I can get elsewhere for the price.

We went recently for the first time in several years. The bread was very good, and the drinks were fine. Both of us had the scallops appetizer, which was also fine, but nothing special. The carrot puree was a bit too sweet for the scallops. For an entree, I got the striped bass, which was excellent; my wife got the chicken, which was not. It was cooked a bit tough, and was served with a za'atar/yogurt sauce that I've had much better versions of elsewhere.

For dessert, we had a special: an apple tart with sour cream sorbet. The tart was very tasty and the sorbet was really interesting. We also had a chocolate souffle cake that was overly sweet and a bit mushy in texture.

Overall, this was a perfectly nice meal, but not consistently great as you might be hoping for given the many superb reviews of Lumiere.

No comments:

Post a Comment